Ketchup is also widely known as tomato sauce or red sauce. These are made from fresh ripe tomatoes along with preservatives and colorants. These are used as a condiment to food items, especially snacks, to enhance their taste. With all the eatable products going sugar-free in the market, the ketchup also joined the race. Now, one can have sugar free ketchup too. These sugar-free ketchup promises to be low on carbs and use the natural sweetness of fresh tomatoes.
Benefits Of Going Sugar-Free
It is fantastic to know that food loved so much can be sugar-free too. Using little alterations while preparation, you can make any of your favorite foods to be a lot healthier and tastier. It lowers the risk of illness and diseases. Some other benefits of going sugar-free in your diets are as follows:
- Reduced hunger and cravings – Sugar intake depletes nutrient stores as a result of which we always feel hungry because the requirement of a nutrient is not meant.
- Improves concentration – studies have shown that sugar intake interferes with memory and aids to nervousness. The inflammation that it causes disturbs the brain’s chemistry. Lower sugar helps to fight such conditions.
- Weight management and – more sugar means more fat stored by the body. Cutting it from your diet provides not only full energy and lesser calories but also the essential vitamins and minerals needed to carry out vital functions.
- Improves dental health and looks too – sugar-free diet helps in fighting the harmful bacteria that otherwise build tarter and is reasonable for bad breath also. Sugar, when mixes with protein results in glycation that promotes aging.
There are dozen of recipes on the preparation of sugar-free ketchup. The common one is as discussed below.
Sugar-Free Tomato Ketchup Recipe
You can make your ketchup at home using commonly available ingredients.
- 28 ounces whole tomatoes in juice
- 2.5 ounces Tomato paste/puree
- Powdered sweetener (monk fruit or erythritol)
- 1 tbsp. White vinegar
- 1/4tsp.Sea salt
- ¼ tsp. Onion powder
- ¼ tsp. Garlic powder
- 1/8 tsp. Paprika
- ¼ tsp. Ground cloves
- 1/8 tsp. Mustard powder
- 1/8 tsp. allspice
- Put a saucepan on low heat on the stove. Add tomatoes juice, tomato puree, vinegar, and spices. Keep stirring for 10 -15 mins.
- Use a blender to blend the whole tomatoes well in puree form. Add sea salt as per taste and continue the sauce to cook on low flame.
- After about -10 mins of stirring, the sauce starts to thicken.
Note: a low carb sweetener like erythritol or powdered fruit monk or even stevia can be used as an option to sweeten the sauce. The prepared ketchup can be stored for months in a refrigerator.
Although all the recipe uses more or less the same ingredients; however, one can do little alterations with the elements. Like tomato puree, it can either be homemade or bought from one’s favorite brand. The same goes with vinegar as white vinegar to apple cider vinegar. This alteration does interfere with the taste of the sugar-free ketchup.
Going sugar-free has become a rising health awareness among people. And, if we talk about sugar-free ketchup what can be more delightful than having your favorite food with no worries. Sugar-free ketchup is available in the market under different labels and brands. The most common of all is Heinz, which comes in a variety of flavors that is spicy, sour, organic, etc.